Community Forum

From the ol observation deck...

ButcherBelial
05/22/17 04:17:02
Forum Admin
From the ol observation deck...

(thread for random rants 'n' observations)

Parkour in a rural setting vs parkour in an urban setting, pros & cons: in the country, there's no one to call the police on you when you've a need to traverse the landscape without going around things. This is a big one for the 'pro' column. Flip side of that is lack of witnesses may hurt your chance at emergency medical attention should you suffer an untimely fall. Best unsolicited parkouring advice I can offer? If you want to run across your neighborhood climbing over people's cars, bushes and garden walls you'd better have a good explanation handy. You could always brush off the behavior as a "PCP flashback". If you'd rather parkour in the wild, with NO ONE around and with a completely unreliable cell phone reception, just remember that if you happen to break multiple limbs it's gonna be just you and the buzzards crawling back for that ride to the hospital. I suppose you can't do either and be considered a 'sane' person by today's soft standards. They got "no climbing" signs on EVERYthing now. Truly, this 'softening' started when I was a boy. I remember my parents took me to Busch Gardens in the late 70s. Couldn't have been more than six at the time. I climbed some stone tower there about 40'-50' in the air. I remember everybody freaking out over nothing. I'm a good climber. Ya know? They took me again following year, and I disappeared for nearly the entire duration of their time there, making it an utter hell for all involved. Ha! That'll teach 'em to make ME go to amusement parks without my consent. I'm not a fan of amusemnet parks, you know. I disappeared that morning and they found me hours later, playing with the ducks in a pond near the old Loch Ness Monster ride. I was a terrible, awful child. But adventurous. And a pretty good climber. And I had a way with animals! My parents never took me to another amusement park again. I digress: parkour shouldn't be trespassing if I agree not to sue. People are just too touchy about stuff these days. I think THEY're insane for NOT climbing 'that'!....

ButcherBelial
05/26/17 15:39:58
Forum Admin
Reply: From the ol observation deck...

At my university ob I have to drive vehicles large and small through thick crowds. It's not as bad this time of year with the students being gone. When you drive through a lot of crowds and around a lot of people, you notice how often they are wearing earbuds and simply don't realize I'm even there with my 5,000 lb. vehicle rolling past. Hey, I enjoy music, too, but don't you think you might be less surprised by a passing vehicle if you were more aware of its approach through the use of sound? I think if you're going to have your earbuds on and blaring music into your head on long walks from one side of campus to the other or across town you have no right to complain about me driving past and scaring the shit out of you. And do you know how many are doing this? It seems to be virtually everybody! I have co-workers that wear their earbuds during work. I see 'em out in the woods or on walking next to busy highways with 'em on. I think it's great that you love music so much but don't you ever memorize any songs? Are there any songs in your heart that you can call upon if needed? I have plenty of those. Learned that trick during my extensive stay as a guest of the state of Colorado. We weren't allowed earbuds there. I guess you could say I learned this trick as a young man working in factories and didn't have to truly apply the skill until I found myself locked up. It's a good skill to have. It seems like a lot of people (and I'm talkin MOST people) fear their own thoughts. Take out the earbuds on occasion, I say, and reconnect with your mind. Go walk several miles in silence. Lay in bed at night and listen to the quiet. Wind, rain and bird songs are the best music of all. Trains are pretty cool, too, with their lovely yet rugged rhythm. If you're lucky you'll get a thunderstorm. You don't always have to have a group of much-admired strangers screaming into your head constantly. I think this earbud epidemic is indicative of how people are intentionally yet subconsciously disconnected from the Universe they live in. It's almost as if these people are afraid of their own minds. Sort of like how many need to listen to radio or TV to sleep. This is not a good development, methinks. I recommend you listen to the world around you. It is trying to tell you many things. You really ought to hear the sounds it makes.

I often feel as if I truly am living in the movie 'They Live'. Little things like this exacerbate that feeling.

ButcherBelial
06/02/17 18:06:45
Forum Admin

You don't shoot, smoke or snort alcohol. All you have to do is drink it. Those things are taboo...injecting yourself with needles, snorting stuff up your nose or creating a large smell/cloud of smoke by smoking something. Alcohol: all ya gotta do is drink it. Not as much social stigma in just DRINKING something. This has led to a lot damage in people, I think. Not saying you need to go shoot needles and smoke crack. Just pointing out that one little seemingly inconsequential thing. For someone unaccustomed to either, it's easier to get drunk than it is to smoke a joint. That's too bad. And totally by design. And probably why the most dangerous drug to our known reality is the one that is entirely legal. It's an odd thing my brain has never been able to get past.....

.....the word 'Alcohol' comes from the Arabic 'al-kuhl' which means 'BODY EATING SPIRIT', and gives root origins to the English term for 'ghoul'. In Middle Eastern folklore, a 'ghoul' is an evil demon thought to eat human bodies, either as stolen corpses or as children. The words 'alembic' and 'alcohol', both metaphors for aqua vitae or 'life water' and 'spirit', often refer to a distilled liquid that came from magical explorations in Middle Eastern alchemy.....

I don't drink alcohol anymore. Life dramatically improves without its influence.

ButcherBelial
06/03/17 01:14:43
Forum Admin

Carefree conspiracist: U.S. politics and international intrigues don't concern me half as much as those who over-estimate and emotionally invest in U.S. politics and international intrigues. Why would such matters of such great importance be entirely up to such "people"? In recent years I've come to notice that humankind seems to have very little control of its own destiny. Then you go down the rabbit hole. Then you notice: it's not that terrifying after all. Don't let them scare you with their Hollywood yarns.

ButcherBelial
06/04/17 03:46:43
Forum Admin

Certainly, dead famous poets are an interesting lot. But I'm a pretty sharp observer, in fact, it may be my only true skill, reading people. And poetry is kind of the ultimate in this regard...people-reading. It's my personal opinion that the poets here at Ink Circus (among other sites) are the most real and interesting. There was a time when writers like Robert Frost could draw 20,000 people to an arena for a reading. Frankly, poetry was an easier game then. YOU're the true struggling artist, friend, and wholly more interesting than any dead poet I can think of. I think your heroes would be intimidated by you, poet. And I'm an ace people-reader. You should take my word for it. Don't ever forget that.

ness
06/23/17 08:35:29
Follower

very discerning commentary :)

admin
06/26/17 02:03:47
Forum Admin

Thank you :) I've been meaning to share more observations and funny-ness. I'm just outside quite a bit right now lol. See y'all soon ;) Very soon.

carlosjackal
06/29/17 13:12:32
Follower

I'm enjoying these random observations...Keep 'em coming :)

ButcherBelial
07/01/17 05:18:46
Forum Admin

Outside of a few privileged individuals, I've probably never told most of y'all about mother bear and her adorable cubs. It's a long story, so I'll try to make it as brief as possible: I saw them on a hike up past the old cabin on my aunt's property (up the road a short ways from my much newer, Amish-built 16x16 on my own property, so not that cabin, which I refer to often in my rambles...)

no, this particular 18th century-style cabin, far more old and rugged, is on what was my uncle's place. Uncle Lonzo passed away in late 2014. I referred to him as "Lonzo the Halfhand" for the final two years of his life, an inside joke from the A Song of Ice & Fire novels: "Qhoran the Halfhand" is a character in the stories. Lonzo lost the ring finger & pinkie on his right hand to nameless circumstances decades ago, hence the 'Halfhand' nickname. It was difficult to hike my aunt n' uncle's 58-acre farm without his company. Solitude was often impossible on account of Lonzo. He was a true West-by-god-Virginia mountain man, thru & thru. Don't let his "decrepit old-timer with bad hips" routine fool ya...Lonzo could track anyone to anything. To the very spot you were sitting. That old coot was the closest I ever came to actually meeting one of those creatures from the 'Predator' films. The man could materialize from out of the trees. I reckon the only escape from Lonzo would be the ability to fly...if you walked there, on land, you would be found. He didn't like drugs & booze, my uncle Lonzo. I have older cousins that would go up there hunting & camping (and drinking, of course). They'd bury their beer cans and liquor bottles up in the hills and along the high ridges, and my uncle would inevitably find them every time. Needless to say, when Lonzo was about, you couldn't have much fun lol. So his passing opened the floodgates to unmolested exploration up there. Finally. Not that I wanted to see Lonzo go. He was a character, for sure. He married my mom's older sister, my aunt Alma, a remarkably obstinate woman, in '77. I vaguely remember the ceremony at that old country church. Folks like Alma & Lonzo are rugged, stubborn salt-of-the-earth types that are highly protective over what they feel is their's. They are good, simple people with a heavy darkness around them. Anyway, with Lonzo no longer haunting the countryside, I could freely map the landscape while on a heroic dose of mushrooms :D So....

it takes a few weeks but I finally hook up with a fat oz of good quality psilo-, stick em in the fridge for a day or two til the weekend finally rolled around. I slept at my own cabin that Friday night, if you could call that sleep, I was so excited. I got stirred up around 3am and fully prepared by 4, enjoyed a light breakfast and then ate all my caps and stems, saving the dirt for later, hiked up the road to my aunt Alma's house (it's the house my mother grew up in...it was a post office in a former life). Normally I would talk with her before I headed out to the deep country on past those 58 acres, but it was still a pitch black dawn and I was certain she was still in bed so I bypassed the chitchat and darted on up the holler to the old cabin, where I munched on some jerky and refreshed my throat with cool mountain spring water to mask the taste of the psychedelics, still waiting for the show to start. Soon the laughter came easier and the snot started rollin and as my surroundings became increasingly absurd, I decided I'd get the heck outta that dark, claustrophobic old cabin and find a good spot to watch sun-up, antsy to enjoy a full day of hiking, tripping and laughing. The light began to climb. I made my way up the hill behind the cabin, a particular spot in mind, trees all dancing and swaying to the breeze. On the way up it began to dawn on me just how intense the buzz was getting and by the time I made it to the top I was full-on mind:fucked, gigglin and snottin and nothing made sense, and that's when I saw them....

mama bear and her two cubs, all staring at me in sudden and complete silence. That moment was just so shocking, just a real shock to the system. Took me second or two to register what was going on and what I was seeing. She ushered the little ones up a nearby tree and stood to face me. Obviously not so pleased with my presence on what I'm sure she felt was "her ridge". She was giving me the dead eyes. I could hear low growling. It did not sound as I had expected. Very hoarse and full of phlegm. I backed away slowly, staring into those furious golden eyes, about a mere 15' away. It seemed like a lifetime was slowly passing in that moment, and since I was fully, totally, completely and utterly deranged to the gills on those mushrooms I was doing my best not to laugh in that silence, which might fully set her off. She was not happy to see me to begin with and she didn't want to make conversation. My mind, irrational with sudden fear, had this vision of her cubs feeding on my soft entrails and warm, bloody groin, of someone coming up here and discovering a red patch of carpet covered in bones on the forest floor, skull and ribcage picked and licked totally clean. I just inched away, backwards, of course. I could still hear her growling when the ground behind me gave way, and my left leg sank, to the knee, into a yellowjackets nest beneath the leaves. My left leg was covered, and my right already had a couple stings as well. I had already been stung by yellowjackets a few times earlier that Spring and Summer, and, if ya didn't know, those cruel yellow bastards leave a scent, some type of pheromone I think, around the area of the sting, to let future yellowjackets know to "sting this motherfucker some more!" So they go to town on my legs about a dozen or so times as I scream and run down the hill, back to the relative safety of the cabin. Needless to say, I kinda lost my buzz there for a bit, but I was trippin' again in no time, just a bit apprehensive about things temporarily. And scratching the ever-lovin shit outta my legs! Haha I tell you the start of that day was a true horror show. What was supposed to be this beautiful, soul-affirming moment turned out be terrifying and painful. In the end, though, it was still the most beautiful moment probably that whole year. I had been looking for her for a long time. She found me. It was like "I heard you were looking for me. What do you want? By the way, watch out behind you."

I returned later, but no bears. I hope to find them again, and I hope those cubs are doing well today, eating well and thriving. I will let you know if I see anymore. I track them all the time. Animal adventures like that one, even if not a single thing goes right, that's what I live for. I have come to appreciate the unexpected.

I think those pheromones have finally washed away. It seems maybe as if the yellowjackets aren't so curious about that scent on my legs this Summer...

ButcherBelial
07/04/17 21:04:14
Forum Admin

My life ain't quite as exciting as I make it seem, though. 75% of the time I'm just down for a good nap. That's what my cabin is for: nice, long naps. It's especially appealing when it rains. You really should rest more. Get more sleep, not less. Our culture has a pathological obsession with not wanting to appear "lazy", so people really don't get the sleep they should be getting. I used to do the same kind of thing that a lot of people do, which is actually make the attempt to sleep less in order to make myself look more productive. You really can't get enough, though. If I can get away with it (and often I cannot) I'll try to sleep for 10-11 hours. And I do enjoy my naps... just as much as I enjoy animal encounters and cliffside adventures.

ButcherBelial
07/07/17 05:03:35
Forum Admin

You're wondering how I sleep so well nowadays, perhaps? I made a conscious effort to make myself healthier by eating better, quitting drinking & smoking, and lots of natural exercise {as opposed to 'drug-infused exercise' hehe ;)}. My doctor was concerned that i had lost 10 lbs. I didn't tell her it was where I'd shat ten lbs of toxins over the course of several weeks but I assured her that I wouldn't lose anymore weight all the same.

I also gave up the tell-lie almost completely. Yeah I might catch the occasional episode of Better Call Saul or Black Mirror, but that averages around about 2, maybe 3 hours of tv per WEEK. I don't pay attention to mainstream news of any kind anymore. Sports don't grab me like they used to. I keep up but rarely watch.

Oh, and I woke up to what was happening in the world to a much higher degree. That view from above. And below. I have never been a person of great intellect or prone to any formal or structured education but this view compensated my perspective with a wisdom that I don't believe I could have attained without that deep dive down the rabbit hole. There's a lot I wish I could have learned long ago. I was too busy living a lie and chasing ghosts.

Anyway, these are the key reasons I rest and heal so much more deeply now, and why I no longer suffer insomnia. I look forward to bedtime now, and will normally rest from about 7pm to about 4am, a far cry from the 2am-5am bullshit I used to run on.

Still enjoy soda too much, though. It's a tad disturbing how I like to guzzle cans of Coke now that I've quit so much other stuff haha. I'm working on that as I type this. Keep those goddamn cold, delicious Coke cans away from me, please.

ness
07/07/17 05:59:46
Follower

been reading all this stuff truly...and i hate to interject banality here----
but help!!!
i cannot 'create a poem' anymore; the icon/clicklink is gone and i only get 'error' msgs....i can arrange, edit, and delete works but cannot create a new one....
is there any way to look into this for me?
thanks so much :}
i really appreciate it---i sent msgs to admin and butcher both....
dastardly things computers and their analog brains.

admin
07/07/17 06:40:58
Forum Admin

Yeah not getting any messages. I made everyone a Premium member. Hopefully this helps.

ButcherBelial
07/07/17 17:04:38
Forum Admin

I mention my urge to get healthier because I know and see a whole lotta folks getting seriously agitated about the looming healthcare crisis we always seem to have on the horizon*. I know and see a whole lotta people sucking down alcohol, cigarettes and junk food and complaining about what may happen to their health. I made a number of poor health decisions throughout my life and have likely shaved 1/3 of my possible lifespan away. My fault, not Donald Trump's, not Hillary Clinton's, not Vladimir Putin's. George Soros didn't force me to pick up smoking. Nicky Minaj didn't force rounds of Jaeger down my throat. My fault. ALL my fault. I honestly didn't know no better. This one's on me, and for most of you reading this....this one's on YOU, as well. There are exceptions to that, of course. Some people are just born with maladies and many others are just more susceptible to certain things. We don't get to choose where and how we are born.

The average human lifespan should probably be about 125-130 years old, maybe even older. If that is the case, then there is a worldwide genocide going on right under our noses. And even the mega-wealthy are not immune: David Rockefeller recently died at age 101, after all.

*(much like a conspiricist's 'armageddon/apocalypse' scenario, this crisis is always just on the horizon, thus directly placing the issue on the same pile with all the other conspiracy theories, yes?)

I am taking personal responsibility for my health, and I'm working my ass off in the process. Less talk, more action.

ButcherBelial
07/14/17 10:41:24
Forum Admin

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery is torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress towards more pain. The old civilizations claimed that they were founded on love or justice. Ours is founded upon hatred. In our world there will be no emotions except fear, rage, triumph, and self-abasement. Everything else we shall destroy everything. Already we are breaking down the habits of thought which have survived from before the Revolution. We have cut the links between child and parent, and between man and man, and between man and woman. No one dares trust a wife or a child or a friend any longer. But in the future there will be no wives and no friends. Children will be taken from their mothers at birth, as one takes eggs from a hen. The sex instinct will be eradicated. Procreation will be an annual formality like the renewal of a ration card. We shall abolish the orgasm. Our neurologists are at work upon it now. There will be no loyalty, except loyalty towards the Party. There will be no love, except the love of Big Brother."

Just before Fall of 2016, the novel '1984' was seen as an important, relevant novel. Probably not so much now. During the last 10 or so months, Orwell's book has been relegated to the "that's impossible and could never happen" file. It's been terrifying to witness the acceleration.

ButcherBelial
07/15/17 07:16:44
Forum Admin

Am I against gay marriage? Fuck no! But I am against marriage. Can't people just agree to be together? Why does government have to be involved? What a completely useless institution. And a racket, to boot. Just admit it...you were both had. It was your business and your business alone. The courts can go fuck themselves. And fuck marriage. And how you like that? Hmmmm? :D

ButcherBelial
07/19/17 12:49:29
Forum Admin

It's a hot summer, the days are long and the months are short. Vacation is an actual thing to me now that I work for a living. I have no one to see and no where to go. It's feels good and folks should be envious. Looks like a days-long hike into Jefferson National Forest, so...sit tight, hold the fort, and keep the homes fires burning and if I'm not back in a month, call the President. Hopefully, I can pull my head from the clouds long enough to write something :P

ButcherBelial
07/25/17 17:35:10
Forum Admin

I always find it amusing when I come here and see 20+ "guests" visiting the site. It's usually between 1-6 guests almost every time I check on this site but occasionally that number will suddenly double, triple, even quadruple. I've often wonder if that's a group of people (known to each other) that are visiting the site all at once or if it's just the random happenstance of unconnected people all just happen to be visiting. Whatever the case may be, I can hear y'all breathing out there. Hello and welcome to you.

Now that all my domestic responsibilities are complete, I'm free to vanish for a while. There's a two-direction path deep in JNF that will take me the better part of 2 days to fully map so this will be my vacation, which the best part begins now. It's a pretty high trail that takes considerable difficulty to get to, so anybody I encounter will be an eccentric loner like me. I doubt I'll see anybody, though. Someone could probably walk it naked and never be seen by another human, though that doesn't come highly recommended. See y'all soon :)

carlosjackal
07/26/17 13:18:43
Follower

Have fun, man, and keep safe :)

ButcherBelial
07/27/17 21:24:11
Forum Admin

Thanks, Carlos! That one "trail" (that abruptly disappeared lol) kicked my arse so I just ended up napping most of the next day lol. I'm going back this evening, though. Going to try and tackle that other, less familiar track in the morning. It trails westward along the top of the Spur. The goddamn climb up there is half the work. And I need a lot more rest in between the long hikes nowadays, heh. This was a lot easier just a few years ago. My lungs are having a tough time. Wish me luck :)

1 / 2 Next »

You must be logged in to post an entry!